Super Bowl Sunday can be one of the worst eating days for men and women. But it’s easy to defend your New Year’s diet resolution from the typical Super Bowl party’s fatty menu of beer, potato chips, sandwiches, wings, potato salad, macaroni and slaw – if you have the right game plan.
- Eat something before you arrive. If you show up hungry, you’re more likely to overeat, and to reach for the most fattening options available.
- Allow yourself a taste of anything on the table,and then bench the fattier choices in favor of the healthier stand-bys.
- Bring along some lower-fat snacks to share, such as baked corn or potato chips, air-popped popcorn and pretzels.
- Load up on salsa, which is a tasty, nutritious, low-calorie dip.
- Prepare a fruit or vegetable platter to bring to the party, so there’s sure to be some healthy choices at your fingertips.
- Try not to drink too many calories – choose water or seltzer over regular sodas and juices.
- If you’re drinking alcohol, pick light beer, wine or a wine spritzer (1/2 wine,1/2 fizzy water).
Try out these 10 snacks to slim down your Super Bowl party:
- Blue Corn Chips and Bean Dip
- Seasoned Baked French Fries
- Low-Fat Spinach Dip and Vegetable Sticks
- Mini-sandwich Wraps with Turkey, Low-Fat Cheese, Lettuce and Tomato
- Vegetable Curls with Light Ranch Dressing Dip
- Fruit Kabobs
- Roasted Almonds and Low-Fat Popcorn
- Homemade Pizza with Vegetable Toppings and Canadian Bacon
- Baked Pita Chips Served with Fresh Salsa
- Fruit and Yogurt Parfaits
Get active! Don’t let the players have all the fun:
- Play a quick game of touch football or toss the football around at half-time.
- Walk around the party, don’t concentrate in only the food area.
- Remember, you aren’t playing in the game, don’t make your post-game meal an NFL sized portion!